Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Yarn Review - Origin Bergere de France (Lait)

Brand: Bergere de France (Origin - Lait)
http://en.bergeredefrance.ca/

Blend: 100% casein of milk
Made in France - Weight: None specified
Colour: Gris Nuage #250.92
Care Instructions: Hand wash cold, no dry clean, light iron.
Skein Size: 50g / 1oz.  3.4 - 105m / 115y
Cost: $16.00 (CAD)


Review: First of all, the material this yarn is made out of is what first caught my eye. I had never seen a milk yarn before so I had to purchase one ball to see what it would be like. I purchased this yarn from a small shop in Stoney Creek, Ontario which the sales woman mention to me that Bergere de France had actually discontinued their "Origin" line so unfortunately you will not see it available for purchase on the website. A quick google search will give you some similar information on the yarn, but I haven't seen any specific area that you can purchase it. At the time I did purchase this yarn, the store had very few left so you may get lucky and find this little gem in a yarn store "clearance" section or something of that sort.

Info card included with the yarn pictured with the leftover ball.

The packaging of this yarn also caught my eye. Unfortunately I did not take a photo before diving into it so to give you the gist, each ball is packaged separately in a small bag with an info card (pictured above) to give you some details on the yarn. While the packaging is nonetheless attractive and eye-catching, one yarn connoisseur such as myself would question the motives behind packaging such a unique fibre in a fully enclosed baggy? Fortunately for me, the store I bought it from had a few open sample bags so I could feel the yarn and do a quick once-over in my brain on what I could use it for. I would have second guessed such an expensive purchase had I not been able to touch it first.

Side view - baby bonnet knitted with button detail.

I decided to knit a simple elegant baby bonnet design I've been dying to try, with this yarn. This particular colour is absolutely stunning for the modern baby and the yarn feel I would drastically compare to cool-to-touch pima cotton or silk blend with the stretch and elasticity of a DK merino. Due to the slippery nature of the yarn, it is a challenge to work with if you favour metal needles like I do. The yarn will slip off your needles several times if you do not keep a tight tension. Luckily for me, this bonnet was knitted flat. Otherwise I would NOT test this yarn with anything knitted in the round unless you have exceptionally tight tension.

Baby bonnet front with button detail.

Another drawback to the slippery-ness of this yarn is that the fibres themselves seem to have a hard time staying together. This yarn tends to fray quite a bit more than your average silk or bamboo (or something of equally 'slippery' hand). This drawback makes any seaming you need to do an absolute nightmare! With that being said though, all my ends did weave in nicer than I expected and seem to have held together nicely (so far!!)

Close up of button detail and stitch detailing.

Overall, not my favorite yarn. Luckily I only purchased one ball although I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with the remainder. The milk is an interesting feature but you MUST have the patience for this yarn. I think I lucked out and chose the absolutely correct pattern for this yarn. I would not recommend knitting anything in the round, or anything with excessive seaming.


Purchase this baby bonnet at Yarnhardts Etsy store!!



Pattern(s) used in this post:
Modern Baby Bonnet by Hadley Fierlinger free pattern available at:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment